Monday, December 27, 2010

Man-Madhan-Ambu-fied

Disclaimer: This is not a review, just a biased babble of what I liked and what I disliked about the movie.

First on the laikeys :

1. Kamalhassan- how does this guy do it NOBODY knows. Though just for mere seconds, he braught the same unnaipol oruvan's flashback effect through his down-with-cancer friend.
He looked AH-MAZING in white. Not exaggerating, I couldnt take my eyes of the poster. For his age, he still looks stunning undoubtedly. And the number of different things he wants to do and try in every movie of his is worth an applaud. poetic legend he is. period.

2. Funny, one would probably expect the hero/heroine here.. but na-ah. Sangeetha. Apart from the fact that I have immense respect for her dance competition judging skills (thanks to SK for openly lauding it on AIE), her boisterous attitude in this movie has to be given credit. It just blended in so well. Good choice, great performance.

3.Madhavan. Oh what do I say about him. Superb to the power of infinity. On a totally different note, I am soooooooo glad he disagreed to take up the tamil 3 idiots version.

4. Surya jillu appearance

Now for the no-laikeys cum indifference:

5.Surya bringing Diya and Jo up (yes even here -.- )

6. No comments on the heroine. I was/am/will be never a big fan of trisha. Any barbie-doll face would have done the trick. I applaud the idea of going all-manirathnam and making her use her own voice.. Yea yea we admit her tamil isnt bad but frankly, she has a spooky voice. The poem recital says it all.

7. URVASI. I am thoroughly dissapointed. How could ks ravikumar do this???? when we see her on screen our mind goes on auto-switch to chirpy, bubbly, ridiculously funny mode. Oh for the love of god, why do u need urvasi to play a crying wife role???? I mean, for an actress of her caliber and credentials, they ought to have considered her for some other role and put her to better use! *hmmmps or that*

8. Crazy mohan's dialogue was the missing ingredient. It was the ummph factor of most of kamal's comedy hits.

9. I should have followed the advice of a very wise friend and watched it in India. Sitting in a malaysian theater and being the only one laughing hysterically for the "kalla kadhalan=kavi shirt" joke was a bit awkward =/

If I were to recast, I would choose Jayaram and Urvasi to play Mr.and Mrs.Kurup. And the taxi driver as Yugi Sethu! =) Oh but it was nice to see glimpses of the panchathanthiram cast here and there =)

You know maybe it was a good movie but having seen great movies like panchathanthiram and PKS which lifted the expections way up high. So, I give it a "good but not great".

p/s:Madrasapattinam will still top my list in 2010.

No comments: